NOPRI is a not-for-profit organization founded in 2016 and based on Manitoulin Island.
Our mission is to:
- Promote the practice, art, and science of permaculture through education and training.
- Undertake and support projects that apply permaculture principles to improve environmental health, social well-being, community resilience and economic sustainability.
- Perform research and development in permaculture and related fields.
We are currently establishing a physical headquarters in Northeastern Manitoulin and the Islands (NEMI) that will include:
- Community gardens
- A cold-hardy plant nursery
- Year round operating greenhouses
- Municipal composting
- A commercial kitchen with cold storage and food processing infrastructure
- Styrofoam recycling
Our other activities include:
- A partnership with the Noojmowin Teg Health Centre to build and support community gardens and greenhouses across Manitoulin Island.
- Diverting waste streams including yard waste, compost, styrofoam.
- Educational workshops related to food, energy, and sustainability.
- Supporting entrepreneurial activity in the local food, energy, and sustainability sectors through infrastructure and education.
- Permaculture demonstration projects including a food forest and biochar production.